Monday 29 September 2008

Teresa Tight-arse


Sales hit the clothing stores this week. Unlike the UK and other western countries, the sales here in Saudi Arabia are still real sales with real bargains to be had. When the signs say 50% off they mean it, not 50% off the inflated price they used for a week before the sale.

I recently learned from an Australian over here what it is to be "Terry".

This is a euphemism for "Terry Tight-arse". A "Tight-arse" is of course someone you need to sedate before you can part them from their hard earned cash......someone like my dad...or my boss.

As I'm careful with my money and I shop around to make sure I am getting the best deal, as far as I am concerned being a "Terry Tight-arse" (as a man) or "Teresa Tight-arse" (as a lady) is something to aspire to, not something to be ashamed of.

The shopping system in Saudi Arabia is unique. If you are so inclined you could wear your new clothes for a week with the label concealed and still take them back for a refund (I haven't done this yet, honest). This system provides exceptional opportunities to be a “Terry.”

I'd therefore like to extend my congratulations to the “Teresa” I saw in Debenhams at Dhahran Mall last night.

She had bought a lot of clothes from the store without knowing the sale was starting the next day. I was standing behind her in the queue as she returned the clothes and got her refund....

......and then immediately grabbed the clothes back from the cashier and bought them back at the sale price.

Perhaps there are times when it’s nice to be hidden behind a full abaya?
Queen Teresa, I salute you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So your dad's a Terry is he?