Tuesday 16 September 2008

A Strange day in Saudi Arabia

If you haven't lived here this won't sound strange at all.

I went to Rashid mall today. My congratulations go to Khobar’s newest mall for also being Khobar’s nicest. It also appears to be trying to push the boundaries of what is acceptable in Saudi Arabia. I'd wager that Panda supermarket's current prayer time arrangements will not last. Time will tell.

Anyway, whilst in Panda the following all happened in quick succession:

- I accidentally walked out in front of a Saudi chap's shopping trolley and he said "excuse me" even though it was my fault.

- I was trying to get some cooked food from the deli counter and a Saudi gentleman offered to help me order. When the staff were painfully slow he turned to me and commented "just between you and me, these guys are complete wankers!"

- Another Arab man arrived at the deli counter just after me and when the staff member asked him what he wanted he told the staff that I was first.

- When I went to pay a Saudi chap let me move in front of him in the queue because I only had one item, rather than his full trolley.

These sorts of courtesies are very uncommon here in my experience. I'm not saying that all Saudis are rude, there are cultural differences and of course I do not speak the language.

Behaviour always makes a bigger impact when it is unexpected so these four gentlemen really made my day. Thanks guys!

No comments: