Tuesday 30 September 2008

Eid Mubarak!!


Eid Mubarak! or Blessed happy festival in Ehglish
At last, Ramadam is over. The Muslim Clerics have looked through their telescopes at the moon and have decided that as of today, the period of fasting is over….. Thank Allah!!

At last I can have a stiff drink in Bahrain or go out to a restaurant to eat. I can look forward to my Muslim work colleagues arriving for work on time, bright eyed and bushy tailed, instead of looking like the cast from Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” video.

At work, instead of expiring from dehydration in the desert, I can have a drink of water to keep me alive!!! Plus I dont have to sneak into the toilets for a crafty sandwich break!

For those that are that way inclined, the dodgy “massage parlours” can once again ply their sordid trade. Bahrain airport is full of Chinese and Thai “hair dressers” returning from a well deserved month’s holiday. I guess the causeway from Saudi Arabia will be getting a lot busier as a result!!!!!

What really has surprised me is that all my Muslim work colleagues have managed to pile on several pounds in weight…..at a time of fasting!!!!!

It turns out that they eat so much at the Ifter Parties (Parties that take place once the sun goes down during Ramadam) that they attend every night, that many are now on strict diets. Indeed now Ramadam is over, today’s local paper is full of adverts for diet programmes and keep fit classes.

We now enter the Eid al-Fitr festival. Basically everyone gets a week off work to recover from Ramadam, and people go to even more parties. All my muslim colleagues and freinds are sending each other Eid Mubarak card.

Im not entirely sure that the Muslim world aprreciattes the US postal office's attempt to celebrate Eid

Anyway, to celebrate Eid, I’m just off the Irish bar for 4 pint’s of the black stuff and to have my…er…hair cut by a pert Chinese lady I know ….ahem.

Only Joking…honest!

No comments: