Friday 5 September 2008

Bugs


I've come to accept that as part of living in a new country, unusual illnesses will strike whilst my body is being introduced to all the local bugs.

In Saudi I don't get the familiar Western-style colds or flu, instead I get savaged by Arabic superbugs that take a perverse delight in attacking my ill-prepared European body.

I also beleive that the standards of cleanliness in restaurants is not up to the standard we would generally enjoy back home

When they strike I'm either bed-ridden or toilet-ridden or both and in classic male style I end up feeling very sorry for myself.

On one occasion when I first arrived here, I felt really ill and thought I would have to seek medical attention. "My God, I'll have to drive myself to the hospital! Can I drive whilst sitting on a potty?!"

Is this why the driving here is so crazy? Because lots of men with diarrhoea are rushing to their doctors?! Thankfully half a packet of Imodium sorted me out and I managed to avoid going to the hospital.
It's another consideration when pondering a move to Saudi, especially if you’re Western as the shock of the climate often makes new arrivals ill. Don't be surprised if you struggle for a while.

We do have 24 hour pharmacies here, but for me drugs are no substitute for having a medicinal brandy...

No comments: