Sunday 28 September 2008

More Leering and the Curse of the Angry Ninja


Over the weekend I went to a supermarket late one night to do some shopping.

As I walked down one aisle I passed what I assume was a mother and daughter out together. The mother was in full ninja attire whilst the daughter was more “Lawrence of Arabia” as she’d covered her hair and pulled a scarf about her lower face.

As I passed them the daughter stared at me. Wondering if she’d look away, I stared back. She didn’t and because her face was covered I have no idea what her expression was and what the stare was meant to indicate. It could have been flirtatious, it could have been disgust. I don’t know.

Later I was deciding what to get from the deli counter when a movement caught my eye and I looked over to find the same girl re-covering her face after trying some food. She immediately nudged her mother and said something whilst pointing at me.

Her mum fixed me with some sort of ninja death stare. I was transfixed. I felt like I was an innocent man being accused of something terrible (leering, I assume?!)

I felt like staring back at her would prove me a leering scoundrel, whilst looking away would prove I had a guilty conscience.

In retrospect winking at her was probably not the most sensible reaction. To be fair I was at a total loss about what to do. I knew she couldn’t talk to me, hence her reliance on the death stare. I didn’t feel like I could talk to her either. So a stupid misunderstanding became this surreal silent staring contest that no one could win.

I don’t know why the girl insisted on creating the situation but it upset me because I was obviously being accused of some cardinal sin and I had no way to resolve it.

Had we been in a Saudi Mall, I’m sure the mother would have involved the Muttawa and asked them to beat me up a bit with their sticks.

Perhaps the lesson to learn is not to stare in case people think you are leering, but staring and leering seem to be the national pastime and don’t think its just restricted to the men.

I am not a handsome man. Ladies do not stop me in the street to comment on how I “look like Brad Pitt, only cuter.” But the women here leer at me. I am not joking, I’ve seen them, staring out from behind their veils.

Last week at the cinema a girl who had not covered her face gave me such a “come hither” look I was completely taken aback. She was probably only 14 or 15 years old.

I am not saying that the women here are promiscuous. I wouldn’t know either way, but I seriously seriously doubt it. But perhaps all this covering up makes them suffer in exactly the same way as the men.

The men here are the champions of leering. Who can blame them? They have so few outlets.

I went to a garden centre with my secretary this week to buy some plants for the office. My secretary wore her abaya as usual, but she didn’t wear long pants. I caught two men leering at her ankles. Her ankles!

Not being able to casually glance at the opposite sex makes you behave in the oddest ways.

No comments: