Tuesday 3 June 2008

Queue-Jumping Ninjas

The Ninjas I’m referring to are not the Japanese Shogun Assassins that you may have initially thought. No, Instead I’m referring to some of the local women dressed up in their full regalia, especially those who visit the malls and supermarkets in Bahrain.

Don’t think that just because local women can’t drive or walk the streets without a chaperone that they are weak willed. They are not. In fact I’ve found a lot of them seem to think they are more important than anyone else and they can be very forceful in this belief. Their ignorance and rudeness can be extremely annoying.

Perhaps queues in supermarkets are just for wimps or infidels only. Perhaps I’m just too English and therefore have an innate sense of fair play and a tendency to form an orderly queue.

However, last night in a local clothes shop, a large and rather cumbersome Ninja decided that rather than queue with everyone else that she would start a new queue at the entrance to the tills. She just barged passed those of us patiently waiting and went to the next free cashier

For once, the cashier sent the Lardo-Ninja packing and she was very, very upset! He obviously wasn’t aware that they are more important than the rest of us! It was one of the most entertaining spectacles I’ve witnessed in this country so far. Go on love; waddle off to the back of the queue whilst we laugh at you!

A Bahrain guy in the queue in front of me who had also been queue-jumped by the Ninja also saw the funny side. He actually insisted that I go in front of him to the next available till. I can only assume he was trying to apologise for the behaviour of his fellow country-woman. I thanked him profusely and took time to wonder at the extreme manners, both good and bad, of some of the locals.

Unfortunately in true "Shogun Assassin" style the Ninjas will be back, but for now cashier guy, I salute you

No comments: