Saturday 21 June 2008

Saudi Driving/Flying Masterclass No. 4


I know I keep banging on about how all Saudis drive like absolute lunatics, and I dont want this Blog to become a site for slagging off the locals because of their complete lack of a sense of self preservation. Afterall, a lot of Saudis are my friends and collegues now.

A lot of accidents out here are due to a combination of driving too fast whilst using a mobile telephone. The Mobile telephone is the ultimate Saudi accessory. Out here, everyone has a mobile phone permanantly plastered to their ear.

In the Cinema, you can hardly hear the film because of all the people using their mobile phones.

To illustrate the problem, I must repeat a story told to me by a freind I have made out here called Grant. Grants an Austrailian pilot who is training fighter pilots in the Saudi Airforce. He told me about an incident that occured whilst flying in a Training jet (a 2 seater Hawk) last year.

Grant was in the back of the cockpit whilst the trainee was approaching the airstrip to land when the jet suddenly veered off course and appeared to be out of control. Fearing a mechancial problem, Grant immediatly took control and safely landed the plane.

It transpired that the trainee pilot had decided to take a call on his mobile whilst making his final approach. He had pushed the phone up the side of his flight helmet to try and speak to whoever was calling and somehow managed to snag his hand on his helmet and couldnt free himself.

I am told that ALL Saudi trainee pilots pass their training...their instructers are not allowed to fail them.

I often wonder if this particular guy is still flying or whether he ditched his jet into the sea whilst ordering takeaway pizza.

No comments: