Wednesday 1 October 2008

Cucumbers & Chicken Wings


If you read my posting a couple of days ago, you will know what I mean when I say I’ve been a bit of a “Terry” thiw week around the supermarket.

I use a variety of supermarkets in Bahrain such as Aljazira (no honestly it’s really called that!), Luna and Geant. However, when I want imported British foodstuffs (i.e. Proper tea, Bovril, marmalade etc..) I go to a small supermarket call Allosra.

Allosra is an unusual supermarket when it comes to prices. Some items there are bargains (good Terry) whilst some are outrageous (bad Terry).

For instance, BD 3.500 (£5) for one cucumber?! Is it made out of emeralds? Can you smoke it? Hs it been blessed by the Pope? What's the deal here?

I saw some Saudis buying them and I wondered whether I was surrounded by Princes and Princesses doing their supermarket shopping in Bahrain. Who else would pay that much for one cucumber?!

Later the same day I went into Aljazira where you could buy 8 frozen chicken wings for BD 0.280 (40p). That's 5p per wing.

So for the price of 1 Allosra cucumber you could have 100 Aljazira chicken wings.

Frankly, that sort of price is an affront to the chicken. Imagine dying and having your arms sold for only 10p. Talk about adding insult to injury.

I don’t think that the Arab’s have really got the hang of advertising here either. The biggest supplier of chicken is a company called Sadia who have advertising billboards all over the place.
To sell their fine poultry product they use a picture of a smiling, slurping, salivating cartoon chicken serving up a plate of cooked drumsticks. This is obviously a cannibal chicken who likes to roast and eat its own offspring!! Now that’s really adding insult to injury!


P.S. I did try and take a photo of one of the Sadia’s advertising billboards, but as I was about to take the picture, the police decided to come and have a chat with me…they are every bit as suspicious of foreigners with cameras as the Greek Airforce!! I ended up having to go down to the station to have all my documentation checked!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to see an advertising billboard in Saudi Arabia written in Portuguese :-) [Sadia is a Brazilian company (sadia means healthy)]. Al Mir, Brazil.