Sunday 3 August 2008

Saudi Driving Masterclass No. 6



One thing I hate about driving here in Riyadh is the tailgaters!


On one of my first drives home from work I was doing 120 km/h down the freeway and this imbecile pulled up to a few inches behind me and started flashing his lights so I’d get out of the way. I didn’t. I drove for at least 3km until he finally turned off.


The whole thing was ridiculously dangerous and whilst I know I should have pulled over I didn’t want to send him the wrong signal. Why should his idiotic driving be rewarded? What he really needed was a good slapping….which is exactly what he would have got in London if he tried pulled a stunt like that….. the taxi driver would have been queuing up to bash him about a bit.


However…. last night driving home on the highway there was this car that pulled in front of me on the fast lane……….you know where this is going.


I pulled up behind him thinking he’d get the hint. We drove for about 1km like this and he still didn’t pull over. Despite the fact it represented everything I hated I decided I’d flash him.


As I leaned forward for the light stick …..it felt dirty and wrong.


As I pulled the stick towards me I hated myself for it.


I pulled the stick………. and……..my windscreen was suddenly covered with water.


I retreated in shame!


My unfamiliarity with my new car saved me from becoming one of those flashing tailgating twits, but I am sure it’s only a matter of time if I stay here much longer…..

No comments: