Thursday 3 July 2008

Saudi Driving Masterclass No. 5

I have discovered a fantastic new game and it’s the best form of entertainment available in Riyadh (possibly).

In KSA there are never any traffic lights on the far side of junctions. So if you pull too far forwards at the traffic lights you cannot see when they turn green.

There are two types of dicks that do this: One is so afraid to be beaten at the lights that he keeps crawling forward until he can no longer see the traffic lights. The other drives down the right turn-only slip road and at the last minute swerves across to stop in front of the rest of us who are politely queuing.


They both annoy me. As I’ve mentioned before, one thing I do enjoy about driving here is the massive Saudi propensity for beeping. As soon as the light is green you’ll hear multiple car-horns, helpfully telling everyone else what they already know – “hey! The light’s green! Go quickly because someone important is behind you!”

So… when I find myself a few rows back at the lights and see one of those dicks waiting beyond the traffic light its great fun to beep the car horn whilst the light is still red, then sit back and watch them as they set off like bats out of hell and then immediately stop when they realise they’ve moved too early.

The first time I tried this I managed to get four cars to go at once. I’ve promised myself I’ll stop should anyone get hurt…...hmm

1 comment:

Frank & Glyn said...

Juzzy, what are you like? Anyway, I happen to know that the horse and cart on your post is in Eastern Europe, not SA. As it happens, I was intimately involvered with its mother. If you look caefully, it's got my eyes.

mini-chef x